I’ve always enjoyed Yoda. The classic quite, “Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering” during his “Fear is the path to the dark side” schpeel is one of my favorites. I’ve been contemplating a Star Wars-a-thon at my house, but I haven’t been able to find 14 free hours or anyone with that much down time to join me. While Yoda give a stanch warning to not allow Fear to be a controlling factor, Jesus Christ Himself gives a warning against Worry in Matthew 6:25-34. Below I have several reasons why you shouldn’t worry, but first my own Yodaneese summary of Mathew 6.
“Worry leads to Fear. Fear leads to self-centeredness. Self-centeredness to seeking first this world… (Yoda-like pause here) …Seeking first this world leads to the Dark Side.”
Reasons to Worry Not
Yoda would have loved the KJV! Why say “do not worry” when you can sound way cooler and say “worry not”?
- There’s much bigger things to worry about (6:25)
- There’s much more urgent things to worry about (6:34)
- Birds worry not about food nor flowers their beauty (clothing) because God takes care of them (6:26, 27)
- Solomon sought after things (Eccl 2:1-11) and was empty (6:27)
- (This is my favorite) Why worry about things God already knows you need? (6:32)
- God has a path to provision – seeking Him. (6:33)